The course presents and discusses the main concepts and tools of the field. The following topics will be covered:
- the difference between scientific research and common sense thought;
- the origins of qualitative and quantitative studies: Durkheim and Weber;
- the logic of the empirical research;
- concepts and indicators; theories, hypotheses, laws; the causal explanation;
- quantitative research tools: the questionnaire;
- qualitative research: overview of the two modes of data collection (qualitative interview and focus group)
Foreign students are asked to contact the instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org) for informations on the course syllabus.